Monday, April 11, 2011

The Fight of Our Lives is Overstated

The Fight of Our Lives, by William Bennett and Seth Leibsohn had interesting points, most of which have been rehashed over and over again in the decade since September 11, 2001. I agree that most terrorists are from radical Islam, but I do not believe the majority of Muslim people are terrorists. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The authors seem to be saying that our national security is in greater danger because of political correctness. Give me a break! Why can’t we be open-minded and understanding of all people? No, I don’t mean we should bow down to radicals but we certainly shouldn’t be as narrow-minded as the radicals are!

According to this book, Bush got nearly everything right and Obama is getting everything wrong. I believe politics is politics. Bush’s administration certainly messed up and Obama’s administration isn’t perfect either. Why can’t our country and our politicians work together? Stop with the extreme conservative and extreme liberal side of politics – that’s nearly as bad as the radicals we’re trying to fight.

Don’t get me wrong, there was much truth in this book, but it’s nothing new and it’s certainly expressed from the extreme right. I define myself as a moderate and both extremes irritate the heck out of me. Let’s be a little more understanding of all peoples and all religions and let’s fight what we need to fight (the extremes).

OK, now I’ll calm down long enough to say that I wasn’t a great fan of this book. I truly hope we can, one day, achieve peace. I know, many say this is naïve but we can at least move in that direction by being a little more open-minded about all religions. And, no, I’m not saying we shouldn’t fight back when attacked but let’s try to do it responsibly. We’re in a war situation now that I know we can’t walk away from as much as many Americans would like to. But making comments about an entire religion is not the way to getting closer to some kind of peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment